SEmG

Utility Vans

These four wheel "Utility Vans" were called by the Southern Railway code Van U and differed from the four wheel luggage vans by having end doors. Under British Railways their code was CCT (Covered Carriage Truck).
 
Vans

photograph by John Lewis

CCT M94307, built in 1959-60 at Earlestown, is seen here at Hove in blue livery with "Express Parcels" branding. Accompanying it is a 34 ton bogie ballast wagon DB978157 code YCV built in 1981-2.

 
S2500 was built in April 1933, at Ashford, to Order RSCO A636 and is an example of one of the early utility vans with even planking to the sides and the doors. Withdrawn in August 1969, it became a stores van, internal user vehicle 082981 allocated to the RSE Section Tonbridge, as seen here in Tonbridge Yard.

photograph by John Lewis

Vans
 
Vans 1732 is a 1938 built example with even planking to the doors, but an uneven planked body. Photographed at Clapham Junction in the 1970s.

photograph by John Lewis

 
Many of these vans were built by BR and 2081, seen here, was one built at Ashford in 1951 and photographed at Clapham Junction in the 1970s. It has plywood sides and unevenly planked doors.

photograph by John Lewis

Vans

All photographs are copyright

pictures of bogie vans

return to picture gallery page

This page was last updated 3 December 2002

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!