When Tower Bridge was built in 1894 a road was constructed from its south end to Old Kent Road. This had to pass under the railway a short distance east of London Bridge station, requiring provision of a new railway bridge. The structure has steel plate arches with a span of 60 feet, but the width of the railway is such that it covers the road for a length of 50 yards. The abutments were finished with glazed brickwork in an effort to minimise the tunnel effect.
The bridge has highly ornate cast iron parapets, which give the appearance of a classical balustrade. This is supported on cast iron columns off the outer arch. Rusticated masonry pilasters contrast with the adjacent brick arches. However, rail passengers get no hint of this finery, because the inner faces of the parapets are completely plain. The bridge was renovated in 1996.
All photographs are copyright
return to the Railway Structures menu
return to picture gallery page
This page was created 24 January 2010