This bridge carries the railway over the River Stour, west of Canterbury East. The line was opened by the London, Chatham & Dover Railway in 1860.
The bridge has three skewed arches and is of red brick with stone cappings to the cutwaters. Unusually, a segmental arch is flanked by two round-headed ones. The main arch has seven rings of bricks and imposts. The side arches have five rings and are plain. There are brick string courses at track level and pilasters between the arches.
All photographs are copyright
return to the Railway Structures menu
return to picture gallery page
This page was created 19 January 2010