|Ilfracombe Tunnel, also known as Slade Tunnel, is about half way up the 1 in 36 gradient from
Ilfracombe to Mortehoe.
The railway was opened as a single track in 1874 and was doubled between 1889 and 1891. The tunnel, therefore, has two single-track bores, which are 69 yards long and on a slight curve. The portals are built of local stone, but there is some brickwork and concrete lining to the tunnel bores. The arch rings at the portals comprise stone voussoirs, with prominent key stones.
The line closed in 1970, though the track was not lifted until 1975. The up line tunnel is now used by the National Cycle Network, but the down line one has been walled off. Openings in the wall at the north end allow bats to roost in the tunnel.
All photographs are copyright
return to the Railway Structures menu
return to picture gallery page
This page was created 27 June 2011