The South Eastern Railway's first line to Hastings was that from Ashford, which opened in 1851. This made an end-on junction with the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway at their Hastings & St Leonards station, to the west of the town. The SER line passes through four tunnels in Hastings, which are similar to those on the North Kent Line between Blackheath and Woolwich.
Bo Peep Tunnel, between Bo Peep Junction and St Leonards Warrior Square, is 1,318 yards long. The western portal is plain, but that at Warrior Square station has dentils around the arch rings and a string course with dentils, almost entirely hidden by vegetation in this view.
Hastings Tunnel, at the opposite end of Warrior Square station, is 788 yards long and its western portal matches the eastern one of Bo Peep Tunnel.
The arch rings at the eastern end are plain, though the portal is otherwise the same.
Mount Pleasant Tunnel is 230 yards long and located between Hastings and Ore. It has dentilled arch rings and a string course with dentils at its west end. The stepped wing walls are similar to those at the south portal of Blackheath Tunnel.
The eastern portal, at Ore, is plain, as are the wing walls.
Ore Tunnel, between Ore and Doleham, is 1,402 yards long. This also has a dentilled portal at the Hastings end and a plain one at the Rye end.
All photographs are copyright
return to the Railway Structures menu
return to picture gallery page
This page was created 21 January 2010