Grove Tunnels, east of Denmark Hill station have two bores with segmental arches, built cut-and-cover and completed in 1865. A cutting was excavated and the tunnel built over it. There is a stone string course, with dentils,above the portals and brick bands below. The road crossing over the tunnel mouth is on a gradient so much of the brickwork is at angle relative to the arches of the tunnel mouths.
The northern pair of tracks, to the left, was used by the London, Chatham & Dover Railway and those to the south were used by the London, Brighton &South Coast Railway. However, all four tracks and both tunnels were owned by the Brighton company. Today trains to and from Victoria calling at Denmark Hill use the southern tunnel, those to and from Blackfriars and most non-stop to Victoria use the northern tunnel.
These cast iron arches at the east portal of Grove Tunnels, support Camberwell Grove. The lower edges of what appear to be strengthening beams can be seen behind them. Part of the brick parapet has been painted white, almost certainly to aid sighting of a semaphore signal in front of the tunnel.
All photographs are copyright
return to the Railway Structures menu
return to picture gallery page
This page was created 21 January 2010