Turkey Mill Viaduct is between Maidstone East and Bearsted, and came into use in 1884. It is built of red brick and has seven round headed arches. As the ground slopes, the two arches at the east end spring from ground level. The Maidstone & Ashford Railway Act required the railway to be roofed over where it crossed the viaduct. This was to avoid soot, smoke or embers from the steam locomotives causing damage to paper being manufactured at the adjacent mill. The roof, which was 250 yards long, was removed when the line was electrified. The parapet walls were removed in 1990 on safety grounds and the decorative steel railings substituted.
All photographs are copyright
return to the Railway Structures menu
return to picture gallery page
This page was created 25 January 2010