One of the longest river bridges on the Southern, at about 350 yards, is Shoreham Viaduct, over the River Adur. It is carries the West Coatway line, which opened from Shoreham to Worthing in 1845.
The original viaduct had cast iron spans on timber trestles, but the present structure has fourteen plate girder spans on pairs of cast-iron columns, plus short end spans onto brick abutments.
Slung from the main girders are riveted cross-beams, which support lateral beams. The original lateral beams have been replaced with welded steel ones, to which the deck is bolted.
One of the cast iron columns (right) has suffered damage and has been strengthened with steel plates.
All photographs are copyright
return to the Railway Structures menu
return to picture gallery page
This page was created 25 January 2010