This viaduct, also known as Lullingstone Viaduct, was built in 1862 by the Sevenoaks Railway, to take the line over the Darenth Valley. It has nine arches of 30 feet span, and is built of red brick. However, the outer arch rings are of cream-coloured brick, making a pleasant contrast. The stone parapet has round-headed arched openings, with yellow brick dentils below. This viaduct has suffered repairs in bricks that do not match the originals, but grade II listing now provides some protection from unsympathetic treatment.
All photographs are copyright
return to the Railway Structures menu
return to picture gallery page
This page was created 4 January 2010