Black Potts bridge comprises four 70 feet spans carrying the Windsor branch over the River Thames. The piers comprise cast iron cylinders enclosed by brickwork with masonry cutwaters. The first pier from the Datchet end is on an island in the river. The original spans were cast-iron arches, one of which failed on 14th August 1849, just before the line was due to open. This was caused by settlement of one of the piers. Passenger trains ran to Datchet from 22nd August, but not to Windsor until 1st December 1849, after the bridge had been repaired and strengthened.
Black Potts Viaduct, a short distance towards Datchet, originally carried the line over a loop off the river, but has been utilised to take a major flood relief channel under the railway. The Jubilee River, completed in 2002, runs from upstream of Maidenhead to downstream of Windsor and was constructed for the Environment Agency. Black Potts Viaduct comprises thirteen quite small, segmental arches in yellow brick. The Jubilee River utilises the middle nine arches. A concrete slipway has been built through the viaduct and the piers have been encased in concrete.
All photographs are copyright
return to the Railway Structures menu
return to picture gallery page
This page was created 11 January 2010