Richmond railway bridge was built in 1848, with three cast iron segmental arch spans, each 100 feet wide. When the bridge was rebuilt in 1908 the Commissioners of Woods & Forests required its appearance to remain unchanged. Unlike at Barnes, the railway was not realigned and the cast iron members were replaced in steel. Construction followed techniques adopted for wrought iron, with each arch comprising riveted plates.
The railway approaches the bridge on the east bank on Old Deer Park viaduct, a seven-arch yellow brick structure, with red brick decoration.
All photographs are copyright
return to the Railway Structures menu
return to picture gallery page
This page was created 11 January 2010