Kew railway bridge was built in 1868 by Brassey & Ogilvie to the design of W. Galbraith. It comprises five lattice girder spans on pairs of cast iron columns and brick abutments with stone embellishment. There is nothing remarkable about the girders, but the columns are highly decorated. Each comprised a plain cylinder with decorative Tuscan columns at the quarter points and decorated capitals. However, half of the decorative columns are now missing.
Each column is topped by an ornate, round-topped tabernacle. Although the London & South Western Railway built the railway through Kew, the main users were the Metropolitan District and North London Railways; there were no LSWR passenger services from 1916.
All photographs are copyright
return to the Railway Structures menu
return to picture gallery page
This page was created 11 January 2010