SEmG

Adams 0-4-4T T1 and F6 classes

T1s 64 and 79 T1s Nº64 and Nº 79, with an X2 behind them.

photograph: Mike Morant collection

 
Adams' T1 class of 0-4-4T locomotive was introduced in June 1888 and was, to all intents and purposes, a tank engine version of the A12 class 0-4-2 engines of the previous year. Twenty were built between 1888 and 1890 and numbered from 61 to 80. A second batch of engines was built between 1894 and 1895 that were basically the same though with the steam chest between the cylinders, as opposed to beneath on the first twenty, and weighing in more than two tons heavier. This second batch, of thirty engines, was officially classified as the F6 class and numbered from 1 to 20, then 358 to 367. This last ten were finished under Drummond's supervision and appeared with his number plates, Adam's chimneys and no brass beading.

The classes were built principally to haul London suburban services but were also to be found on all parts of the LSWR, and at Ludgate Hill, though they were not that common in the West of England. Two of the class, when new, were put to work on the Sidmouth branch whilst others were shedded at Plymouth, Fratton, Andover, Bournemouth and Salisbury as well as those in London.

All the T1s had been withdrawn by 1936 but F6s fared a little better with several lasting into British Railways' ownership. Drummond chimneys appeared on many of the engines, though not all had been replaced by the time the Southern Railway inherited the classes. A few received Drummond boilers during their later lives: Nº11 in 1935, Nº15 in 1939, Nº63 in 1926 and Nº361 in 1941. However, the same boiler was used on at least three of these engines and it is possible that only one boiler was involved. The boiler from Nº63 was transferred to Nº11 and later to Nº15 upon scrapping of the engines and it is possible that this same boiler was used for Nº361.

None of the T1s was preserved though one boiler and smokebox has survived and is presently stored on the Avon Valley Railway and can be seen on that railway's website under Rolling Stock, then Locomotives.

 

Technical Details

Introduced:
Driving Wheel:
Bogie Wheel:
Weight:
Water Capacity:
Cylinders (2):
Boiler Pressure:
Tractive Effort:

T1

1888
5 ft 7 in
3 ft 0 in
1,200 gals
53 tons 0 cwt
18in x 26in
160 lb sq in
17,100 lbs

F6

1894
5 ft 7 in
3 ft 0 in
1,200 gals
55 tons 2 cwt
18in x 26in
160 lb sq in
17,100 lbs
 
LSWR/SR Number # BR Number Built Withdrawn
61 - Jun 1888 Dec 1932
62 - Dec 1888 Mar 1933
63 - Dec 1888 Feb 1933
64 - Dec 1888 Apr 1932
65 - Dec 1888 Sep 1934
66 - Dec 1888 Mar 1932
67 - Dec 1888 Oct 1931
68 - Mar 1889 Oct 1931
69 - Mar 1889 Oct 1931
70 - Apr 1889 Aug 1934
71 - Jun 1889 Jan 1935
72 - Jun 1889 Jun 1933
73 - Oct 1889 Jan 1936
74 - Oct 1889 Apr 1934
75 - Dec 1889 Feb 1935
76 - Apr 1890 Aug 1933
77 - Jun 1990 May 1932
78 - Aug 1890 Nov 1933
79 - Sep 1890 Dec 1933
80 - Sep 1890 Feb 1936
1 30001 Apr 1894 ?
2 30002 May 1894 Feb 1949
3 30003 May 1894 Sep 1948
4 30004 Jun 1894 Aug 1948
5 30005 Jun 1894 Jan 1950
6 - Jun 1894 Nov 1947
7 30007 Jul 1894 Jun 1951 *
8 30008 Aug 1894 May 1949
9 30009 Aug 1894 Jul 1948
10 30010 Aug 1894 Apr 1948
11 - Jun 1895 Apr 1944
12 - Jun 1895 Jan 1933
13 30013 Jun 1895 Feb 1949
14 - Jun 1895 Jul 1933
15 - Jul 1895 Jul 1944
16 - Aug 1895 Jan 1946
17 - Sep 1895 Jan 1945
18 - Sep 1895 May 1935
19 - Nov 1895 Nov 1937
20 30020 Nov 1895 May 1951
358 - Jun 1896 Jul 1944
359 - Jun 1896 Oct 1943
360 - Jun 1896 Jul 1944
361 30361 Jun 1896 Feb 1949
362 - Jul 1896 Feb 1939
363 30363 Jul 1896 Jun 1948
364 - Jul 1896 Oct 1944 *
365 - Aug 1896 Mar 1938
366 30366 Aug 1896 Oct 1948
367 30367 Aug 1896 May 1951

# Between 1923 and 1928 SR numbers were the LSWR numbers with the added prefix 'E', although the prefix may not have been removed until some time later.
* Nº7 was originally withdrawn Feb 1939 and Nº Mar 1939. They were then returned to traffic in Oct 1939
At one time in their lives the following were adapted for Pull-Push operations: Nº1, Nº4, Nº5, Nº8,Nº18, Nº359 and Nº361.
Numbers 1 to 6 were lent to the LMSR for working on the S&DJR in 1941. Nº3 returned to the Southern on 6th January 1945 with the rest returned on 10th March 1945. Numbers 1 and 2 had been shedded at Highbridge, the other four at Templecombe.

All photographs are copyright

return to picture gallery page

This page was created 2 November 2011

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!