|During the 1914-18 War a secret "Q" port by the banks of the
River Stour was built under the Roman fortress at Richborough near Sandwich in Kent.
A railway was constructed from the main line, which passes under the Saxon walls,
to the banks of the Stour. The river mouth was dredged and a new port of
embarkation was created. A camp was established which was the starting point of a
ferry service for troops and munitions to France and Flanders.
Vast amounts of military equipment - including locomotives - and arms were sent across from Richborough Port, using sea going barges and the very first roll-on roll-off ferries
Photograph: Mike Morant collection
Re-numbered Nº1685 in Southern days seen here probably at Ashford
|As a result the South Eastern and Chatham Railway urgently needed
a heavy shunting engine. In 1917, as it transpired belated in the war, Maunsell
resolved the problem by the simple expedient of converting a Wainwright "C" class
locomotive into a saddle tank. The frames were extended rear-wards to enable a
bunker and a fully enclosed cab to be fitted and a 1,200 gallon saddle tank was
fitted over the boiler. There was only one example, Nº685, which was thus converted
into an S class 0-6-0ST for use as a heavy-duty shunter at Richborough.
After the War it was transferred to Bricklayers' Arms where it was used as a shunter at until 1951.
Data - See C class
All photographs are copyright
This page was last updated 14 August 2013