|Dugald Drummond is idolised and eulogised by his extensive following amongst Southern enthusiasts but the reality of his relatively short tenure at the helm of LSWR locomotive design is that his design office created more failures than successes. That isn't arguable as he produced only eight successful designs as opposed to ten failures amongst which can be counted the C14 class of 0-4-0T although it must be said that three of the class of ten engines did have long lives whilst the remainder had their working lives within the LSWR truncated very quickly during an era when it was reasonably expected that a locomotive design would work for thirty to fifty years.|
|Nº30589 is seen here at Southampton in early British
Railways unlined black livery which was applied to this loco in August 1948.
The later lined black livery was applied in May 1951 and is illustrated below.
photograph: Mike Morant collection
|The C14 design was born out of desperation as the earlier
railmotors designed by the Drummond team had fallen a long way short of
expectations for many reasons which don't form part of this discourse. The
outcome of that failure was a side tank design based around the 2-2-0 wheel
arrangement which, itself, was a recipe for problems. That proved to be the
case as they were very prone to wheel slip not only on starting but also at
speed, relatively speaking, as they had driving wheels only 3' in diameter.
That was not their only problem as Drummond had included a water tube
arrangement in their design that he had neatly tucked away inside the tanks
which, convenient though it might have been from a design point of view, made
them totally inaccessible for routine maintenance. The design also suffered
from even more obvious problems insofar as they were underpowered and lacked
sufficient coal carrying capacity for any but the shortest of tours of duty.
The overall design was, however, aesthetically quite pleasing with the
relatively large side tanks giving the side elevation a very square but
balanced look which was counterbalanced by an elegant chimney and dome.
Ten examples of the original 2-2-0T design were built between September 1906 and January 1907 but were largely redundant by 1913. The decision was taken to rebuild Nos 743 & 745 (see the accompanying table below) as 0-4-0Ts and the opportunity was taken during that process to dispense with the awkward water tube design. The remaining locos of the original 2-2-0T design continued to see sporadic service during WW1 but without their allotted railmotor coaches except for Nos 741 and 743 which were temporarily employed as complete units for a wartime service linking Bournemouth West and the cordite factory at Holton Heath. In November 1916 the LSWR was approached by the War Office who were seeking light locomotives and they subsequently purchased six of the 2-2-0T versions in 1917 and Nº743 which was one of the rebuilt locos as tabulated below. Nos. 741 and 744 gained a fortuitous new lease of life when they were leased by the Admiralty in 1917 for dockyard shunting and it is that pair that were subsequently returned to the LSWR and were subsequently rebuilt as 0-4-0T engines with long working lives ahead of them. The reason why three of the class were placed on the duplicates list was that they occupied numbers allocated to the new N15 class.
|End of her days at Eastleigh in 1957 for Nº30589. Note the
accumulation of lime scale on the top of the boiler which gives the loco a
somewhat careworn appearance.
photograph: Mike Morant collection
|Nº745 was rebuilt as 0-4-0T an engine in April 1913, then became
Service Department loco 77s in 1927 and eked out an existence at Redbridge
sleeper depot until 1959, a function from which it never strayed except for
periodic overhauls and a short period of work at Southampton Town Quay in 1958/1959. Nos 741 and 744 were rebuilt in 1922/23 respectively and
took up duties at Southampton Docks for the rest of their working lives.
Nº741 became BR Nº30588 whilst Nº744 became BR Nº30589 and
both were allocated to Eastleigh until their withdrawal from active service in
There are two unusual facts relating to the three survivors. Firstly, with no spare boilers available, they carried their original boilers for their entire working lives. And secondly, Nº30589 distinguished herself by being the only member of the class to haul a passenger train after their railmotor days had ended when it hauled a two coach motor set along the Bishops Waltham branch as part of an RCTS railtour on 14th June 1952.
1906 (as 2-2-0T)
3 ft 0 ins
19 ft 7 ins
25 tons 15 cwt
10 x 14 in *
150 lb sq in
4,960 lb *
|* Nº741 had cylinders enlarged to 11 in x 14 in, T/E then 6,000
* Nº743 & 744 had cylinders enlarged to 14 in x 14 in, T/E then 9,720
|LSWR Nº||SR Nº||BR Nº||Built||Duplicate List||Rebuilt||Withdrawn||Notes|
|736||-||-||Sep 1906||-||-||Mar 1917||Sold to Ministry of Munitions|
|737||-||-||Sep 1906||-||-||Nov 1917||Sold to Admiralty|
|738||-||-||Oct 1906||-||-||Mar 1917||Sold to Ministry of Munitions|
|739||-||-||Oct 1906||-||-||Feb 1917||Sold to Bute Works, then Alban Richards & Co|
|740||-||-||Nov 1906||-||-||Dec 1916||Sold to War Department|
|741||3741||30588||Sep 1906||Dec 1918||Mar 1922||Dec 1957||Lent to Ministry of Munitions Apr 1917, ret 1920|
|742||-||-||Dec 1906||-||-||Feb 1917||Sold to Ministry of Munitions|
|743||-||-||Dec 1906||Jun 1913||-||Dec 1917||Sold to the Admiralty|
|744||3744||30589||Jan 1907||Dec 1918||Oct 1923||Jun 1957||Scrapped at Eastleigh|
|745||3745||DS77||Sep 1906||Apr 1913||Dec 1918||Apr 1959||Scrapped at Eastleigh|
|Bibliography: Locomotives of the L.S.W.R. Part 2; D. L. Bradley; RCTS 1967
Text from Mike Morant.
All photographs are copyright
return to picture gallery page
This page was created 30 August 2008