One of the smaller companies taken over by the Southern Railway at the time of the grouping was the Plymouth, Devonport and South Western Junction Railway
The company had been formed in 1883 to construct a railway from Lydford to Devonport, on a route via Tavistock, Bere Alston and St Budeaux. Work started in March 1887 and the railway opened to traffic on 2 June 1890.
The PD&SWJR consisted of a double track line about 22½ miles long and served not only the existing LSWR stations at Lydford and Devonport, but new stations were built at Brentor, Tavistock, Bere Alston, Bere Ferrers, St Budeaux, Ford and Tamerton Foliot.
From the outset the new line was leased to the LSWR which gave the LSWR an independent access to Plymouth avoiding the GWR Tavistock branch line.
A branch from Bere Alston to Callington opened on 2 March 1908 using the new Bere Alston and Calstock Light Railway and the East Cornwall Mineral Railway which was re-gauged from 3' 6" to 4' 8½". The branch was engineered under the supervision of Colonel Stephens of Kent and East Sussex fame, and it was operated independently and not by the LSWR.
For this extension three steam locomotives were purchased from Hawthorn Leslie and Company. The new locomotive's livery was blue with brass dome covers and chimney caps and they were named after the company's directors. The two 0-6-2Ts were named Lord St Leven and Earl of Mount Edgecumbe and the 0-6-0T was named A S Harris. The LSWR actually absorbed the PD&SWJR just prior to the grouping and Numbers 3-5 were repainted in LSWR sage green livery and re-numbered 756 to 758.
|Nº756 A S Harris seems to have led a nomadic existence
until becoming shed pilot at Nine Elms from 1931 to 1939.
Eventually it was condemned at Stewarts Lane in August 1951.
|The trio were repainted in SR livery between March 1926 and April 1927,
and again in British Railways livery in December 1950 and the two 0-6-2Ts were renumbered
30757 and 30578. Nº 756 was withdrawn in October 1951 without being renumbered.
30758 was withdrawn in December 1956 and 30757 in December 1957.
Nº 756 was replaced on the Callington branch with an 02 class 0-4-4T in June 1929 but 757 and 758 survived until the arrival of Ivatt 2-6-2Ts in September 1952 made them redundant. However they continued to work intermittently in the Plymouth area until moving to Eastleigh in mid-1956.
|For a brief period in August 1926 Lord St Leven took part in trials on the newly-opened North Devon & Cornwall Junction Light Railway from Torrington to Halwill Junction - another railway in which Colonel Stephens had been involved.|
|After the move to Eastleigh Earl of Mount Edgcumbe acted as shed and
works pilot until it was withdrawn at the end of 1957.
Seen here at an Eastleigh Works Open Day in 1956 or 1957
photograph: Mike Morant
4 ft 0½ ins (Nº756 3 ft 10 in)
16 in x 24 in (Nº756 14 in x 22 in)
170 lb sq in
|PD&SWJR Nº||LSWR/SR Nº||BR Nº||Wheel Arrangement||Withdrawn|
All photographs are copyright
return to picture gallery page
This page was added 25 August 2013