SEmG

Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway

Sturminster Newton station opened on 31st August 1863 and was halfway through the 16 mile single track section of line from Templecombe to Blandford Forum. A good amount of cattle and milk traffic from here led to ample handling facilities being provided with a cattle dock, pig pens and five sidings one of which served a milk factory. The design of the station is typical of the Dorset Central Railway. The dip in the platform was there to provide a crossing of the line as no footbridge was provided.

photograph by Keith Harwood

Sturminster Newton
 
Evercreech Junc. Evercreech Junction station, some way south of where the branch to Bridgwater and Burnham-on-Sea left the main line, opened in 1862 as "Evercreech" but was re-named in 1874. Note the end of a siding between the two platform roads which was used by banking engines awaiting up trains and the Burnham-on-Sea branch train between services. Note also the very tall starting signal, built in this way to ease sighting difficulties.

photograph by Ray Soper

 
Radstock station opened in 1874 as "Radstock" but was re-named "Radstock North" in 1949 to avoid confusion with the ex-GWR station, now "Radstock South". No connection ever existed between the two stations during the working life of the S&D line, but one was put in after closure in 1966 when a short spur was installed just south of the station to enable coal traffic to continue between Writhlington and Portishead. Radstock was in the middle of the Somerset coalfield so had a lot of coal traffic, though this dwindled throughout the twentieth century and ceased altogether not long after the S&D's own demise.

photograph by Ray Soper

Radstock
 
53808 A month prior to the other photographs of 53808 on these pages found her taking water at Evercreech Junction whilst heading an Ian Allan tour on 22nd September 1962.

photograph by Mike Morant

 
Ex-LMS 4-4-0 2P locomotive 40601 is seen at Branksome shed having worked a train down the S&D. As the legend on her tender indicates, this was taken in early BR days.

photograph: Mike Morant collection

Radstock
 
67S&Da. One of the Somerset and Dorset passenger locomotives introduced by the Midland Railway. A small wheeled variant of the Standard Derby 4-4-0 of Johnson design of 1891. Nr 67 was subsequently rebuilt with a large Deeley boiler. She came into LMS ownership in 1930 but was scrapped before 1932. The image was taken at Bournemouth West somewhere between 1910 and 1913 showing Nr 67 resplendent in Somerset and Dorset Prussian Blue livery with the 4.05 pm semi fast service to Bath.

photograph: Mike Morant collection

All photographs are copyright

First | 2nd | 3rd | 4th

Lots more photos on the Somerset & Dorset Railway Trust site.

Return to Photo Index

This page was last updated 6 August 2013

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!