SEmG

Wye

Wye station was built in 1846 by the South Eastern Railway, opening on 6th February of that year, and is situated on the line from Ashford to Ramsgate and Margate. The platforms are level which is unlike the normal SER practice of having them staggered. The buildings consist of a two-story booking office and a shelter, located at the Ashford end. Also just visible behind some foliage, is the crossing keeper's house, now sold off and in use as a private residence. Shortly after the railway opened the Wye Racecourse opened, in 1849, and the SER built a third platform at Wye station to handle race traffic. This was on the other side of the level crossing and on the up side, a little odd as the racecourse was on the down side of the line. This may have been done to avoid having to demolish the crossing keeper's house which is also beyond the level crossing. but on the down side. Unusually for a British main line station, this platform was a very low affair, more like those seen on the Continent, or on a narrow gauge railway. Wye racecourse closed in 1974. The station was provided with a goods yard which was taken out of use during 1963.
 
Wye The substantial station building is at the southern end of the up platform and is here viewed from the platform side. Beyond the platforms can be seen the level crossing which, most unusual for 2011, has hand operated gates! The grey box-like building beyond the crossing is on the site of the old crossing Signalbox.

photograph by Neil Walkling

 
How many had-operated level crossing gates remain? Not many, that's for sure. Not only is this level crossing something of an anachronism, its gates are not that old as the original wooden ones were replaced by the present metal ones, though these in turn are likely to give way to lifting barriers before long. The lever frame for locking the gates is at the southern end of the down platform.
 
The view from the footbridge looking down on the level crossing. The race day platform was beyond the level crossing and on the lefthand side of this photograph whilst the ex-crossing keeper's house may be seen, half hidden by the tree, on the opposite side of the line.

photograph by Neil Walkling

Wye
 
Wye A class 395 high-speed unit on a St. Pancras - Margate working, via HS1, speeds across the level crossing.

photograph by Neil Walkling

 
Now a Muti Purpose Vehicle on a leaf clearing run can be seen corssing the roadway. Note that the platform edges have new concrete slabs, though these do not continue down the ramps at each end.

photograph by Neil Walkling

Wye
 
Wye The two-lever ground froame that is used to lock the crossing gates, situated at the southern end of the down platform.

photograph by Neil Walkling

 
Another view of the station with the ground frame visible and, in the background, the typical Southern Railway Exmouth Junction concrete works footbridge. On the left is the wooden waiting shelter.

photograph by Neil Walkling

Wye
 
Wye The Saxby & Farmer Signalbox situated at the north end of the up platform. This controlled semaphore signals throughout the station until the end of 2003, when replacement colour light signals were brought into use, controlled from the Canterbury - Wye Control Centre situated at Canterbury West, three stations down the line towards Margate. Since then the windows have been protected by wire mesh to hopefully deter vandals.

photograph by Neil Walkling

All photographs are copyright

return to Southern Maps

return to picture gallery page

This page was created 8 November 2011

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!