SEmG

Woldingham

Woldingham station opened on 1st July 1885, over a year after the railway from South Croydon to East Grinstead was opened, a line that was jointly owned by the LBSCR and SER as far as Crowhurst Junction. The main building at Woldingham, on the down side, is a typical SER clapboard structure, of which few survive. There is also an attractive timber waiting room on the up side. A concrete footbridge is apparently of Southern Railway origin. The brick building by the down platform is not part of the station, but is typical of the small commercial premises, often occupied by estate agents or coal merchants, that clustered round station forecourts and approach roads.
 
The main station building, a typical SER clapboard structure, photographed on 30th January 2010.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

Woldingham station
 
Woldingham station The platform side of the main building, and the down platform canopy.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

   
Until 1894 the station was named after Marden Park, the grounds of which are immediately adjacent and have their own access off the up platform. Marden Park is now occupied by an independent girls' day and boarding school, Woldingham School, which makes an appreciable contribution to traffic at the station, which is actually situated within the school grounds though about a mile from the school buildings.
The building and canopy on the up platform. This side of the station has the exit for Woldingham School. Note that the station buildings are staggered either side of the footbridge.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

Woldingham station
 
Woldingham station The view looking through the station from the London end of the up platform.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

All photographs are copyright

return to Southern Maps

return to picture gallery page

This page was created 8 February 2010

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!