SEmG

Torrington

The photographs on these pages taken by Nigel Brodrick date from after the cessation of passenger traffic.

The station at Torrington was opened on Thursday, 18th July 1872 when the Torrington Extension Railway arrived in the town from Bideford. The line had to have two inspections as on the first, on 7th June 1972, the inspector, Lt Col Yolland, decreed "..... the line from Bideford to Torrington cannot be opened without danger to the public owing to the incompleteness of the works." There was no official opening ceremony by the L&SWR so the people of Torrington arranged their own civic ceremony to mark the opening of the line. This may be explained in some part by the lack of willingness on the part of the L&SWR to build the line in the first place! Having obtained powers to build it in 1865 the company decided it would be too expensive to build, and would generate very little revenue, so applied to abandon the line in 1868, but Parliament wouldn't sanction it. The L&SWR tried again in 1869, but failed once more as it was held although no capital had been raised they had "virtually entered into a contract with the district to construct the line. If the Torrington Extension were abandoned, no other company was likely to build the line".
 
The front of the station building, photographed on 1st September 1961.

photograph by Chris Knowles-Thomas.

Torrington
 
Torrington The platform side of the station building, with quite a lot of activity! Photographed on 1st September 1961.

photograph by Chris Knowles-Thomas.

 
The station building, milk loading dock and goods shed looking north towards Barnstaple. The brackets support the pipes of the milk loading facility.

photograph by Nigel Brodrick.

Torrington
 
Torrington Another view of the station building, milk loading dock and goods shed at Torrington station.

photograph by Nigel Brodrick.

 
A wider overview of the station from 1st September 1961. There is plenty of stock in the sidings and a train from Barnstaple has recently arrived.

photograph by Chris Knowles-Thomas.

.
Torrington
 
Following the opening of the line in 1872 there was pressure from local people for the line to continue southwards towards Plymouth. Nothing came of this though, despite Torrington having been designed so that it could easily be converted to a through station. The L&SWR was most definitely not interested and eventually it fell to the Marland Clay Company to build a three foot gauge line from Torrington, six and a half miles to the Marland Clay works. Started on 26th May 1880, the line was completed just before the end of that year.
 
Torrington A September 1961 view from the down platform looking south through the road bridge towards Halwill. This was the starting point for the North Devon & Cornwall Junction Light Railway.

photograph by Chris Knowles-Thomas.

 
The similar view from the up platform, photographed after the cessation of passenger services. Note the telegraph pole has been removed!

photograph by Nigel Brodrick.

Torrington
 
Torrington The view of the station from the other side of the bridge, photographed during September 1965.

photograph by Chris Knowles-Thomas.

 
The same road bridge as seen by a train approaching the station from the Halwill direction. The notice to shunters was not there in the days of the passenger service from Halwill, as seen on the next page.

photograph by Nigel Brodrick.

Torrington

All photographs are copyright

First | 2nd | Last

This page was last updated 6 July 2010

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!