SEmG

Tisbury

Tisbury station opened as part of the Salisbury & Yeovil Railway Company's line from Salisbury as far as Gillingham on 2 May 1859. At one time the third station along this route, its two neighbours in the up direction (Wilton [South] and Dinton) were closed during the "rationalization" of the line in the 1960s with Tisbury today being the first stop west of Salisbury. Sidings were provided on both sides of the running lines, with a goods shed on the up side. Passengers here were afforded the protection of good sized, though not particularly attractive, platform shelters. Goods facilities were withdrawn from 18 April 1966, with the sidings lifted the following year and the line singled with all trains using the former up platform. The singling left a section with no passing places between Salisbury and Gillingham which had a dramtic effect on the number of trains that could be operated, and the late-running these could achieve! To help alleviate this situation a passing loop was installed almost twenty years later though as the down platform had been replaced by an Agricultural Merchant, this loop had to be installed outside the station, immediately to the east. With the "dumbed down" service that is operated these days, virtually all trains now call at Tisbury.
 
Tisbury The remaining platform and canopy at Tisbury station. The modern Signalbox at the end of the platform opened on 12th October 1958 and closed less than nine years later on 5th February 1967 when the sidings and down line were lifted.

photograph by Matt Hurst courtesy of Chris Osment

 
A longer distance view of the station, showing the full extent of the former up platform.

photograph by Matt Hurst courtesy of Chris Osment

Tisbury
 
Tisbury The eastern end of the passing loop, which opened for business on 24th March 1986. When not required for the crossing of trains, all traffic uses the left hand line whilst only the loop itself is equipped with starting signals, two aspect colour lights, which are equipped with TPWS grids.

photograph by Matt Hurst courtesy of Chris Osment

 
The eastern entry to the passing loop, with the road set for the "main" line......

photograph by Matt Hurst courtesy of Chris Osment

Tisbury
 
Tisbury ...... and the western one.

photograph by Matt Hurst courtesy of Chris Osment

All photographs are copyright and were taken November/December 2003

return to Southern Maps

return to picture gallery page

This page was created 30 December 2003

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!