SEmG

Sutton

Sutton station was opened by the LB&SCR along with the rest of the route from Croydon to Epsom on 10th May 1847. The branch to Epsom Downs was opened on 22 May 1865 and the line from Mitcham Junction arrived 1st October 1868. Then when the line from Wimbledon via St Helier finally arrived on 5th January 1930 it became possible to leave Sutton by train in no less than five different directions. Rebuilt several times over the years the station reached its present basic arrangement in 1928.
 
Sutton Sutton railway station viewed from Mulgrave Road. This version of the station was built in 1883.

photograph reproduced by arrangement with Honeywood Museum, Carshalton, courtesy of Tony Price

 
Sutton Station being rebuilt in 1883. This view is facing down the Epsom Downs platforms - note the incomplete canopy on the up line. The canopy end to the right hand side is on the down Epsom platform.

photograph reproduced by arrangement with Honeywood Museum, Carshalton, courtesy of Tony Price

Sutton
 
Sutton Sutton Station in 1902.

photograph reproduced by arrangement with Honeywood Museum, Carshalton, courtesy of Tony Price

 
The station soon after it was rebuilt in 1928. Note the Epsom Downs line curving away to the left has both the ac overhead infrastructure (though are the wires in situ? Difficult to see though the bottom left hand corner of the photo seems to have a section) and the replacement dc third-rail electric system. The other lines have neither. Note also the funnel of an incoming train on the steam only lines at the foot of the picture.

photograph reproduced by arrangement with Honeywood Museum, Carshalton, courtesy of Tony Price

Sutton
 
Sutton The exterior of Sutton station after it had been rebuilt in 1928

photograph reproduced by arrangement with Honeywood Museum, Carshalton, courtesy of Tony Price

 
What a great day out for a young lad! An exhibition train in Sutton goods yard in 1934.

photograph reproduced by arrangement with Honeywood Museum, Carshalton, courtesy of Tony Price

Sutton
 
Sutton The Lord Nelson Class Locomotive Nº859 Lord Hood was at the head of the exhibition train in Sutton goods yard. The Southern Railway gave regular exhibitions around its system before the war. As a "Lord Nelson" class, Lord Hood represented the most powerful class of locomotive on the Southern.

photograph reproduced by arrangement with Honeywood Heritage Centre, Carshalton, courtesy of Tony Price>

 
Special train for Epsom Downs approaching Sutton about 1936.

photograph reproduced by arrangement with Honeywood Museum, Carshalton, courtesy of Tony Price

Sutton
We are fortunate to be able to reproduce these photographs from the Honeywood Museum but information on many of them is quite scant. If you can add anything, no matter how small, that would enhance the captions then please contact us at webmaster@semgonline.com webmaster@semgonline.com.

All photographs are copyright

First | 2nd | Last

This page was last updated 14 July 2005

SR Target

Valid HTML 4.01!