SEmG  
Whitstable Harbour The railway at Whitstable Harbour is, of course, now long gone. However, a pair of gates (not those by which the railway entered the harbour) have a reminder of this long lost line.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

 
A close-up of one of the SE&CR plaques on each gate. The only other reminders of the railway here is an information board alongside the toilets and behind the bus shelter!

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

Whitstable Harbour
 
Wilton Wilton South station, now closed and in private hands, was the first stop west of Salisbury. Note the tile-hung elevations, so treated to withstand wind and rain.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

 
A further view of the station buildings today. The station was originally called just Wilton, but was renamed in 1949 to avoid confusion with the ex-GWR station of the same name, and which was renamed Wilton North.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

Wilton
Wilton Yet another view - the lighter coloured lean-to has presumably been added since the station closed. Goods traffic ceased here on 6th July 1964 and passenger services were withdrawn on 7th March 1966. One of Wilton station's claims to fame was that it was the engine change stop for the Devon Belle, though the stop was unadvertised and passengers could neither join nor alight from the train.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

 
A view of West Worthing station taken in April 1987.

photograph by Mark Westcott

West Worthing

All photographs are copyright

return to Southern Maps

return to sundry stations index page

return to picture gallery page

This page was last updated 7 November 2009

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!