SEmG  
Tenterden
 
Tenterden Town station on the Kent and East Sussex Railway. The K&ESR was one of the Colonel Stephens lines that remained independent until being taken into British Railways (Southern Region) on the nationalisation of the railways in 1948. Opened on 2nd April 1900 and at first running from Robertsbridge to Tenterden, though not to the present station which was not opend until 1903, the line was extended to Headcorn in 1905 and lived a precarious existence until 2nd January 1954 when it was closed to all passenger trains and the rails ripped up between Tenterden and Headcorn. Seven years later the remainer of the line was closed. After a protracted battle two miles of the line was re-opened as a preserved railway on 3rd February 1974, finally extending to reach its objective of Bodiam in 2000.

The loco in the top photograph is A1X Nº32665 whilst the lower photo is a close-up of the multi-arm signal and the water tower, both photos taken during 1953.

photographs: G.W.Morant/Mike Morant collection

Tenterden

All photographs are copyright

return to Southern Maps

return to sundry stations index page

return to picture gallery page

This page was created 27 May 2007

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!