SEmG
Sherborne Sherborne station in Dorset, as photographed in April 1986.

photograph by Ian Fossey

 
Shawford station, one north of Eastleigh, as photographed on 18th April 2009.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

Shawford
 
Southease
Southease and Rodmell Halt, on the line from Lewes to Newhaven and Seaford. The upper picture shows the view from the up platform looking towards Lewes and in the lower picture 4 Cig 7376 is on a Lewes-Seaford Service. Both photographs taken on 1st July 1978

photographs by Glen Woods

Southease
 
The first passenger train from Lewes to Newhaven ran on 8th December 1847, the extension from Newhaven to Seaford being opened on 1st June 1864 whilst Southease and Rodmell Halt opened 1st September 1906. The line was electrified throughout on 4th July 1935.
 
Stonegate Stonegate station looking towards Hastings in March 1986, a few weeks before the start of electric services. South of Tunbridge Wells the Hastings line has some imposing stations, mostly built in stone. All were smartened up for the coming electrification and the treatment received by Stonegate (including a new footbridge) is evident in this photograph. The staggered platform arrangement, which was a feature of many SER country stations, is also evident. Stonegate is in open countryside, some distance from the village it purports to serve, but is well used by commuters from the surrounding area.

photograph by Keith Harwood

 
The waiting shelter and Signalbox at Sutton Bingham, downgraded to a halt from 1st August 1960 and closed on 31st December 1962, was situated between Yeovil Junction and Crewkerne. The Signalbox remained in use after the halt's closure, but not for long as it closed in February 1967.

photograph: Mike Morant collection

Sutton Bingham

All photographs are copyright

return to Southern Maps

return to sundry stations index page

return to picture gallery page

This page was last updated 6 November 2008

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!