SEmG
St Denys station, Southampton, is a junction where the routes from Winchester in the north, Havant in the east, Southampton Terminus (closed to passengers in 1966) to the south and Redbridge to the south west met. Opened in 1866 as Portswood, a new station was built a quarter of a mile to the south and renamed St Denys in 1876. The station buildings on platforms 1 and 4 are now privately owned.

photograph by Greg Beecroft

St Denys
 
Sandling The derelict Sandling Station as it was on 23 May 1965, populated by ex-Pullman Car Camping Coaches in an old siding. The correct name was "Sandling, for Hythe" as this had been the junction for that line, just one station long! The old branch platform is to the left of the Camping Coaches and the covered footbridge over the main line can just be seen beyond and to the left of them.

photograph by Keith Harwood

Howard Brissenden under took a survey of Sandling Station in 2007. This view is of the station front......

photograph by Howard Brissenden

Sandlingtfrt
Sandlingstn ...and this of the same building from the platform side

photograph by Howard Brissenden

 
The reverse view of the up platform and station buildings.

photograph by Howard Brissenden

Sandlingupplfm
Sandlingdnplfm Of the original buildings there was very little left in 2007. The down waiting room is long gone and been replaced by a modern bus stop type shelter and the original ticket office has totally vanished into the car park, however the remaining station building is still in use and the original footbridge is still there, but without its canopy. The surprise is that the the branch line platform is still there but has been utilised to permit disabled access to the station.

photograph by Howard Brissenden

 
Seaford station taken on 16 September 1972 with 4 Cor 3142 partially obscuring the view as it waits to make the 15:50 to Brighton.

photograph by Glen Woods

Seaford
 
Slinfold A snowy Slinfold Station,
between Horsham and Guildford,
20 March 1965

photograph by Keith Harwood

 
Ivatt class 2 2-6-2T 41325 calls en route from Guildford to Horsham in 1964. No passengers joined or left this train, which was by no means unusual. The gentleman with the woolly hat on the platform was the station porter/clerk and must have led a very stress-free existence!

photograph by Keith Harwood

Slinfold

All photographs are copyright

return to Southern Maps

return to sundry stations index page

return to picture gallery page

This page was last updated 15 June 2013

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!