|Partridge Green station on the Shoreham to Itchingfield
Junction (near Christ's Hospital) line photographed in January 1966 just
two months before the line closed. Once the preserve of D3 and M7
push-and-pull workings from Brighton to Horsham, the line was worked
subsequently by Ivatt 2-6-2Ts and from May 1964 by 3-car Hampshire diesel units. The line was
double track throughout and provided a direct alternative route from London to
Brighton, but was never electrified. Partridge Green station site is now an
photograph by Keith Harwood
|Petrockstow station was on the Colonel Stephens-built
North Devon and Cornwall Junction Light Railway which opend in 1925, using in
part the trackbed of the narrow gauge Torrington and Marland Railway. The
station closed when the line closed to passengers in 1965. The village that
gave the station its name is spelt Petrockstowe but the station never displayed
the final 'e'.
photograph by John Bradbeer
|Pevensey Bay station, previously Pevensey Bay Halt, on
the Eastbourne to Hastings line, as photographed on 1st May 2008. With no
facilities other than disabled access, just platforms and a level crossing, the
station can be a lonely place as hardly any trains call these days, just one
morning and three afternoon up trains and two morning and three afternoon down
trains in the summer 2008 Mon-Fri timetable. No self-service ticket machine is
provided so these have to be purchased after one has boarded a train.
Pevensey Bay Halt was the setting for "The Pevensey Bay Disaster" episode of The Goon Show.
photograph by Michael Taylor
|Poole station in 1991. A lot more modern and
clean-looking than it was before. The station is now far busier despite many
Virgin Cross Country services starting at Bournemouth rather than here.
photograph by Paul Ferbrache
|The view across to Portsmouth & Southsea low level
station, taken from the Signalbox c1967. The line to Portsmouth opened on 14th
June 1847 with the arrival of the LB&SCR's Chichester to Portsmouth
branch, also used by L&SWR trains which came in from Fareham. In 1859 the
arrival of the Portsmouth Railway from Godalming to Havant gave the L&SWR a
more direct route from Waterloo.
photograph by Terry Bye
|Portsmouth & Southsea station on 28th June 1977. In 1876 the
building of the Portsmouth Waterside Extension Railway by the LB&SCR
extended the line to Portsmouth Harbour, opening 2nd October, at which time
Portsmouth & Southsea became a through station as well as a terminus. The
through platforms are at a higher level, on the left of the station.
photograph by Clive Standen
|The imposing frontage of Portsmouth & Southsea station in
February 2003, unfortunately now spoiled by the modern square block that
photograph by Paul Emery
|The starting signal situated on platform 5, circa 1967. Behind
is a new, but not yet commissioned, colour light signal.
photograph by Terry Bye
All photographs are copyright
return to Southern Maps
return to sundry stations index page
return to picture gallery page
This page last updated 1 May 2009