|No, it's not an excuse to show a nice tram photo! Beyond the tram is the front of New
Cross station between London Bridge and St Johns during 1952, despite the Southern Railway station board being
still in situ so long after nationalisation. The tram was near the end of its days as the last one ran in London
on 5th July that year.
photograph: W. J. Wyse/Mike Morant collection
|View of Newhaven Town station, looking towards Lewes,
and of Newhaven Town Signal Box and Level Crossing with the former goods shed
in the background. Both photographs taken 23 October 1971.
photographs by Glen Woods
|Class 08 D3220 stands on the loco spur at Newhaven Town (the Brighton side
of the A259) on 25 June 1972. This line used to continue beyond the buffer
stops, across the road and traversed the River Ouse, via the old swing bridge,
on its way to the West Mole. This was the well known haunt of the Newhaven
Harbour Company's terrier, formerly LBSC 72, that came back 'into the
fold' at Nationalisation, being renumbered 32636, now running in
preservation on the Bluebell railway as LBSC 472.
photograph by Glen Woods
All photographs are copyright
return to Southern Maps
return to sundry stations index page
return to picture gallery page
This page was last updated 31 January 2003