SEmG  
Blackwater Blackwater station between Guildford and Reading. Obviously a quiet moment with gangers working in the four foot!

photograph: Mike Morant collection

 
Bere Alston was on the double track main line from Okehampton to Plymouth and opened to goods traffic on 12th May 1890, with passenger services starting on 2nd June 1890. Originally named as 'Beer Alston', the name was changed to 'Bere Alston' in November 1897 (as was neighbouring station Beer Ferrers/Bere Ferris). On 2nd March 1908 it became a junction when the line to Callington opened, together with a Signalbox for that branch.

Right: A train can be seen to have just departed Bere Alston on the Callington branch in 1961. The line on the left is to Plymouth.

photograph: Mike Morant collection

Bere Alston
 
Bere Alston Rationalisation led to the closure of the branch Signalbox from 13 February 1927, then the goods yard some 41 years later on 12th February 1968. On the same date the line north to Meldon Junction was closed, leaving Bere Alston open as a mid-point on the route from Plymouth to Gunnislake (the remainder of the branch to Callington having been closed), one that required trains to reverse in the station. On 7th September 1970 the Signalbox was closed, the station reduced to one platform (the former Down platform), the branch points relocated (and thereafter operated by the Guard using an Annett's Key attached to the Train Staff) to aid the reversals of trains and the line south to St Budeaux singled.

Left: The Callington train in the branch platform, also during 1961.

photograph: Mike Morant collection

 
Borough Green and Wrotham station (previously known as Wrotham and Borough Green) on the line from Swanley to Ashford was opened in 1874 as a single track station which was doubled in 1882. There was a goods yard and parcel offices, sidings for sand and ragstone, hops and fruit and a wharf where stone from a nearby quarry was deliverd by horse and cart.This view was taken on 21st October 2007.

photograph by Greg Beecroft

Borough Green

All photographs are copyright

return to Southern Maps

return to sundry stations index page

return to picture gallery page

This page was created 22 September 2008

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!