SEmG

Slade Green

The depot at Slade Green was opened in 1901 after the amalgamation of the SER and LCD, instead of extending the then current depot at Bricklayers Arms. It could (and probably still can) hold 110 steam locomotives, most of which were the small tank engines which worked the trains on the line. The depot was converted for EMU operation in 1924, with the last of the resident steam locomotive disappearing in 1926. The shed consisted of 10 lines, which is roughly the same as today, with two 50ft turntables at each end (which, sadly, are long gone!).
 
Slade Green North End. Unlike the Southern end of the shed, the north end has been treated with a new modern roof (a very recent change) which contrasts with the old walls. Three class 465's are visible inside the shed. The lines in the foreground run to the repair shed.

photograph by David Glasspool

 
Another shot of the north end, looking head on. The gantries on the far right hold the lighting for the sidings alongside.

photograph by David Glasspool

Slade Green
 
Slade Green An overview of the whole depot layout, from a local footbridge; the line curving sharply off to the right is the beginning of the Dartford loop line. Over the years siding numbers have increased, with rails being laid on both sides of the mainline. In-between the daily peak hours is when there is always a mass of stock in the depot.

photograph by David Glasspool

 
When visiting Slade Green, one can always be guaranteed to see a piece of rollingstock from another region, which is being stored. Here, a class 421 is just making its way inside the shed, in Connex South Central livery. Other visitors in the past have been old Network South East EMUs (a long time after NSE's demise), preserved green liveried EMUs and an example of the new in 2003 class 375 "Electrostar", which does not yet work the line via Dartford.

photograph by David Glasspool

Slade Green
 
Slade Green When the then new class 465 was being introduced, it was decided to rebuild the Maintenance Depot at the Southern end of the Slade Green engine shed. This was done in 1991 and is the current repair shed for the stock which uses the line. It is only really possible to get shots of this through the glass of a service train, hence the slightly 'smeared' effect!

photograph by Tom Martin

The current repair section on the side of the old depot. Originally two lines would have entered this section, with an additional external siding on the left.

photograph by David Glasspool

Slade Green
 
Slade Green Another westward view from a Charing Cross - Dartford service, showing a class 465 in front of the current loading bay of the depot.

photograph by David Glasspool

 
This is a good view of the original structure of the building - the east wall. The white coloured section of the wall, which can be seen at the far end, indicates where part of the old structure was and where the second line would have entered. Behind that section is the original wall structure for the old water tower, which was capable of holding 150,000 gallons of water. A much smaller one has replaced it, as can be seen here.

photograph by David Glasspool

Slade Green
 
Slade Green The station is a key point for the Slade Green depot train crew. Both here and at Dartford is where a good proportion of the train crew change is undertaken. Usually drivers from the Slade Green depot will embark on a Dartford bound train here and pick their train up at Dartford.

photograph by David Glasspool

Text from David Glasspool

All photographs are copyright

return to Southern Maps

return to picture gallery page

This page was created 5 February 2003

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!