SEmG

Queen's Road / Queenstown Road (Battersea)

Queenstown Road (Battersea) station opened on 1st November 1877, on the line between Vauxhall and Clapham Junction, as Queen's Road (Battersea) - which could cause some confusion with Queens Road stations in Peckham and Walthamstow. On 12th May 1980 the name was changed to Queenstown Road (Battersea) though the station signage does not include the (Battersea) suffix shown on some maps (not that by South West Trains) and timetables.
 
Queenstown Road (Battersea) The main entrance to Queenstown Road (Battersea) Station. Although there is a total of eight tracks running through the station, not many trains call here and there are only three platforms, with one of those no longer in use.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

 
Close-up view of the main entrance, showing the original name of the station, Queen's Road. This photo, and all the other photos of Queenstown Road (Battersea), was taken on 2nd June 2009

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

Queenstown Road (Battersea)
 
Queenstown Road (Battersea) The view through the station looking along one of the platforms still in use. The disused third platform is opposite.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

 
The canopy on the platforms, looking well cared for.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

Queenstown Road (Battersea)
 
Queenstown Road (Battersea) A close-up view of the canopy supports.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

 
The old Signalbox was still extant in 2009, though no longer used for controlling the trains. It has, however, since been demolished to make way for an extension to the islane platform.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

Queenstown Road (Battersea)
 

All photographs are copyright

return to Southern Maps

return to sundry stations index page

return to picture gallery page

This page was last updated 25 March 2012

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!