SEmG

Penge East

Penge East station was opened as Penge Lane, also known as Penge(LCDR), by the London, Chatham & Dover Railway on 1st July 1863 and is on their line from Dover to the now-closed Holborn Viaduct and to Victoria. The name was subsequently changed to Penge East by the Southern Railway in 1923. The station is situated very close to Penge West station, on the ex-London Brighton & South Coast Railway's from London Bridge to East Croydon. Heading west from the station the line first passes under the LBSCR line before entering Sydenham tunnel.
 
Penge East The main station building, photographed on 16th August 2009.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

 
Another view of the main station building with the large covered bicycle stand quite prominent. Photographed on 16th August 2009.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

Penge East
 
Penge East The ornate brickwork, windows and door lights make Penge East a very attractive station. Especially as it is well cared for these days. Photographed on 16th August 2009.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

 
Decorative brickwork, windows and door lights make this a very attractive station. Photographed on 16th August 2009.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

Penge East
 
Penge East Ornate roof decoration. Photographed on 16th August 2009

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

All photographs are copyright

First | 2nd

This page was created 11 January 2010

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!