SEmG

London Road, Brighton

London Road, Brighton station, was opened when the London & Brighton Railway's line from Brighton to Lewes opened on 8th June 1846, just one month and nineteen days before the amalgamation that was to form the LB&SCR.

The photographs on these pages were all taken on 15th September 2004.

 
London Road, Brighton In 2004 the once-imposing station was now undergoing a much-needed facelift and should be restored to its former glory before long. The steps lead up to the booking office, though there is also access to the station around each side of the building.

photograph by Peter Richards

 
Substantial buildings are provided on each platform, though the footbridge is not for station users but to allow pedestrians to cross the railway.

photograph by Peter Richards

London Road, Brighton
 
London Road, Brighton Movement from one platform to another is by the usual LB&SCR means of a subway beneath the tracks.

photograph by Peter Richards

 
Electrostar unit Nº377316 pulls into the station with a service for Eastbourne.

photograph by Peter Richards

London Road, Brighton
 
London Road, Brighton Today the station consists of just two tracks and platforms, though there was once a goods yard here. All that remains of the sidings today is a small pile of rotting sleepers amongst the weeds.

photograph by Peter Richards

All photographs are copyright

return to Southern Maps

return to picture gallery page

This page was created 21 September 2004

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!