SEmG

Ladywell

Ladywell station is on what is now known as the 'Hayes line' but what was for many years known as the 'Mid-Kent line' to Hayes despite the fact that it was situated in the west of the county and within the London borough of Bromley in its entirety. It opened on the 1st January 1857 when the line to Beckenham Junction was opened, before being extended to Addiscombe when the Hayes branch opening in 1882. The line was under the control of the South Eastern Railway (SER) before amalgamation with the LC&DR to form the SE&CR. The name was taken from an ancient well situated close to the church of St.Mary the virgin - "Our Lady" hence the name.
 
The station building photographed from the approach road on 20th June 2009. The main buildings are situated on the up side of the station.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

Ladywell
 
Ladywell The original buildings are still largely intact and are believed to be the only buildings from the line's opening to be so. This photograph shows the Buffer Puffer railtour hauled by class 37 Nº37401 entering the down platform on 1st April 2007.

photograph by Neil Walkling

 
A closer view of 37401 passing through the platforms. Sadly most of the station amenities are now disused with the windows boarded up, but otherwise the buildings are in good condition.

photograph by Neil Walkling

Ladywell
 
Ladywell Class 465 Networker Nº465032 running into platform two.

photograph by Neil Walkling

 
Another Networker, Nº465176, is seen here running into platform one.

photograph by Neil Walkling

Ladywell

All photographs are copyright

First | 2nd

This page was last updated 5 November 2009

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!