SEmG

Kearsney

Kearsney

The up side buildings of Kearsney station, with boarded up windows, as seen from the footbridge.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

 
Kearsney station, on the LC&DR line from Faversham to Dover Priory, opened on 1st August 1862, some five years after the opening of the line. Initially known as Ewell this was changed to Kearsney in 1869, at which time the running-in-boards proclaimed it to be "Kearsney for River and Ewell", which nemenclature is still to be seen on a wall by the station.

For much of its life the station boasted a goods yard, an up bay and a turntable on the down side for services terminating at Kearsney. Following electrification of the line in 1959 the bay was taken out of use, with the goods yard following suit from 4th September 1961, although the down side sidings were kept for use with colliery traffic until its cessation in 1986.

 
Kearsney A view across the station from the down platform.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

 
The remains of the goods shed wall, kept to form a boundary when the shed was demolished, still has a painted sign proclaiming "Kearsney for River and Ewell".

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

Kearsney
 
The 1970s saw a typical ruination of a station that was happening in that era. The up platform canopy and associated waiting shelter were removed, the latter to be replaced by a ghastly CLASP building whilst on the down side the waiting shelter was demolished leaving just a short canopy to provide passengers with protection from the elements. The signalbox was closed on 7th December 1980 when that at Dover Priory took over its role.

 
Loop Closure Notice The above extract from a notice at the time says it all!

Image from Geoff Smith

All photographs are copyright

return to Southern Maps

return to picture gallery page

This page was last updated 28 October 2008

SR Target

Valid HTML 4.01!