sr.png

Mill Hill

Mill Hill was the penultimate station before Cowes which opened with the Cowes & Newport Railway in 1862 and had just the one platform, with neither passing loop nor siding. Just to the north of the station was the 208 yard Mill Hill tunnel, the shortest of the four tunnels on the island.
 
A very neat and tidy looking Mill Hill station photographed in 1963 with, as is so obvious, the tunnel entrance just off the end of the platform.

photograph by Keith Harwood

Mill Hill
 
Mill Hill Three years later, in February 1966, the station seems unchanged though the posters have gone and closure is just around the corner.

photograph from John Bradshaw collection
(Visit www.transport-of-delight.com for other SR images)

 
The station nameboard, shelter and a barley twist lamp post (carrying a BR totem) which seems to have lost its lamp, February 1966.

photograph from John Bradshaw collection

Mill Hill

All photographs are copyright

IoW PageS | Ashey | Brading | Cowes | Haven Street | Mill Hill | Newport | Ryde | Ryde MPD | Ryde Pier | Shanklin | Ventnor | Wroxall

return to Southern Maps

return to picture gallery page

This page was last updated 3 December 2002

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!