SEmG

Havant and Bedhampton

Havant station opened on 15th March 1847 as part of the LB&SCR's extension from Chichester to Portsmouth. The line onwards to Fareham was opened one month later, on 14th June 1847, to the existing LSWR route at Fareham. Since Southern Railway days, though, the line from Havant to Fareham has been under the auspices of the south western division and today the stations on this section are painted in South West Trains' colours, though the route is still very much used by central division trains. Far from being the most attractive of stations, Havant's main claims to fame are the fabled "Battle of Havant" and the one-time branch to Hayling Island.
 
The station forecourt as rebuilt by the Southern Railway in a mix of Network SoutEast and South West Trains colours.

photograph by Paul Emery

Havant
 
Havant The front of the station on 22nd August 2009.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

 
A view from further back on the same date, also showing some of the platform and platform canopy.

photograph by Gregory Beecroft

Havant
 
Havant Havant Station from New Lane footbridge looking west towards Portsmouth. Where the righthand line slews across there was at one time an up fast line through the station.

photograph by Paul Emery

 
Looking across to platform 1 and the up line. Havant had at one time two fast lines through the station, but today just the down fast line remains.

photograph by Paul Emery

Havant
 
Havant Looking east on Platform 1. The SWT train that is just leaving from platform 2 will almost immediately turn left at the junction onto the "Portsmouth Direct" line via Guildford to London.

photograph by Paul Emery

All photographs are copyright

First | 2nd

This page was last updated 11 November 2009

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!