SEmG

Colyton

Colyton

Colyton station as it is today, enjoying a second life as the northern terminal of the Seaton Tramway. The lefthand side of the building is not original but a modern addition.

photograph by Chris Osment

 
Colyton was the first of the two intermediate stations on the line from Seaton Junction to Seaton, originally the Seaton & Beer Railway which opened on 16 March 1868 as Colyton Town and was absorbed into the L&SWR in 1885. The branch was closed on 7th March 1966 but has seen a new life develop since 1969 when the narrow gauge tramway that had been in operation at Eastbourne relocated to Devon and the then-closed Seaton branch. Rebuilt between 1969 and 1971 the line reopened as 2' 9" gauge.
 
Colyton A view of today's station from the former goods yard side.

photograph by Chris Osment

 
Now viewed from the north-west, looking towards Seaton.

photograph by Chris Osment

Colyton
 
Colyton The former Colyton goods shed, viewed from NW, road, side.

photograph by Chris Osment

 
The original purpose of this platform building is uncertain maybe as a store?

photograph by Chris Osment

Colyton

All photographs are copyright

return to Southern Maps

return to picture gallery page

This page was created 15 February 2012

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!