SEmG

Arundel

Arundel station dates back to the opening on 3rd August 1863 of the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway's extension from Hardham Junction, just south of Pulborough, to Ford Junction on the west coast line from Brighton to Portsmouth. Always an important station, at one time it boasted a good complement of sidings but unfortunately is today only a shadow of its formerself.

The photographs on these pages were all taken on 19 October 2002.

 
Arundel One of four delightful Southern Railway "candy twist" lamp posts on the approach road to Arundel Station.

photograph by Glen Woods

 
The road access to the station.

photograph by Glen Woods

Arundel
 
Arundel Looking towards Amberley, showing the footbridge with the piers of the A27 road bridge behind it.

photograph by Glen Woods

 
Unit 1855 calls at Arundel whilst working the 12:32 pm from Victoria to Chichester.

photograph by Glen Woods

Arundel
 
Arundel The up side canopy with the station building to the left, where rails used to be is, today, the inevitable car park.

photograph by Glen Woods

 
The station building from the former goods yard.

photograph by Glen Woods

Arundel
 
Arundel The isolated canopy on the down side island platform with the up platform nearest the camera.

photograph by Glen Woods

 
The former goods shed, similar to the Structure at Littlehampton, again the windows are of the type that were used on Billingshurst's former goods shed.

photograph by Glen Woods

Arundel
 
Arundel The one-time rail entrance to the goods shed.

photograph by Glen Woods

All photographs are copyright

return to Southern Maps

return to picture gallery page

This page was last updated 3 December 2002

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!