After the grouping until 1925 the inertia of the Southern's electrification schemes was with the ex-London Brighton
and South Coast Railway's system
but once the extensions from to Coulsdon North and to Wallington and Sutton had been completed attention was
focused on the Eastern and Western Divisions.
The first extension was to the former LSWR system and that consisted of extensions to Dorking by way of Raynes Park, Epsom and Leatherhead, and Guildford by way of Claygate and Effingham Junction. The stock introduced in 1925 for these routes consisted of fifty-five three-car units which were similar in appearance to the original nutcrackers but were wider and longer.
Originally Nº1309 a 1925 Western Division unit seen here
augmented to a 4-Sub unit and renumbered 4324 departing Tulse Hill
photograph by A J Wills
|The motor coaches were built by The Metropolitan Carriage and Wagon Co Ltd with electrical equipment by Metropolitan Vickers. The Midland Railway Carriage & Wagon Co Ltd built the trailers. They now had steel underframes, the same pronounced torpedo shaped ends as the nutcrackers but they had flat unpanelled sides. They were numbered 1285 - 1310.|
|Nº4304 Augmented with a new Bulleid trailer at Forest Hill with a Crystal Palace - Victoria service in September 1958|
|Nº4308, one of the 1925 South Western units, in the
sidings at Micheldever following withdrawal, taken in July 1963. Note the
roundness of the cabs which was distinctive of both these units, and the
photograph: Chris Gammell/Mike Morant collection
|In this view the remains of the original trailer and the
additional Bulleid one have been removed, leaving just the two driving units.
photograph by Ray Soper
photograph by John Lewis
All photographs are copyright
This page was last updated 2 April 2013