|Like the 2 Wim units, the 2SLs were two coach suburban units converted in 1929 from 1908 LBSC stock. They differed, though, in being from 16 former AC Driving Motor Brake Thirds. Eight were converted to DC DMBTs whilst the other eight became Driving Trailer Brake Composites. Standard SR cab fronts were fitted though the units retained their flat roofs where the AC bow collectors had been. The same 60' underframes were utilised though the bogies were replaced with new SR motor bogies and ex-LBSC trailing bogies. The units carried the stock numbers 1801 to 1808.|
A 2SL unit photographed at Wandsworth Road station in 1954 towards the end of its life. It cannot be positively identified but in a larger version of this photograph the stock number of the coach appears to end in 58, which would make it Nº9758, the trailer of unit Nº1808.
photograph by Mike Morant
|Being provided with the standard SR power, control and braking systems meant that in theory the SL units could work in multiple with other SR suburban units. However, their width meant that they were effectively restricted to just the South London Line and the Wimbledon Line. Normally working as single units, they would be paired to form a four car unit for peak hours. As with the 2 Wim units, the headcode 2 was carried as a full width letter, not a number, though our photograph here shows it as a narrow width numeral. Maybe there was a shortage of stencils by 1954! One unit, Nº1807 was destroyed in an air raid in 1940 whilst in the Peckham Rye depot. In 1941 the first class compartments were reclassified as third class, something that was never reversed after the war. Nº1802 was withdrawn in 1951 but the remainder of the class continued in service until autumn of 1954 when they were replaced by new 2EPB units.|
South London Units | 2nd | 2-Wim |
All photographs are copyright
return to picture gallery page
This page was created 22 November 2010