SEmG

SECR coaches

Ex-SECR composite NºS6377 on a ferry at Southampton and en route to the Isle of Wight in April 1949. S6377 became part of set Nº507 on the island in 1950.

photograph: Mike Morant collection

S6377
 
PP Set 660 Push pull set 660 photographed at Tonbridge on 11th June 1961, not long before withdrawal.

photograph by Chris Knowles Thomas

 
PP set 660 was originally Birdcage "Trio-C" set 600 which was formed of 60ft stock - lavatory brake third Nº3505, lavatory composite Nº5473 and brake third Nº3433. In 1933 it was increased to 6 coaches with the addition of 50ft composites Nº5299 and Nº5301 and 44ft first Nº7278. The set was disbanded in 1941. In 1942 the two brakes lost their birdcages and were fitted with driving ends. Nº3505 + Nº5473 became PP set 660 while Nº3433 + Nº5301 became PP set 661. Both sets were on the Bexhill West branch from 1942-1958. They were withdrawn in Dec and Oct 1961 respectively.
 
Push pull set 660 photographed at Bexhill West. Date unknown.

photograph: Mike Morant collection

PP Set 660
 
971

photograph by John A Arkell

 
Coach 971 is a South Eastern and Chatham designed, Southern Railway built, third class compartment coach. It was solidly built in 1923 to carry commuters to and from London and having ten compartments of ten seats this type is commonly known as a "100 seater". It was built, as was customary, reusing whatever useful parts - in this case brass door handles and grab rails from LCDR four and six wheeled coaches - could be salvaged from withdrawn stock. Upon electrification of the London suburban area the coach was modified for push pull working and it ended its British Railways days working on the Steyning line. In 1997 it received a second new roof canvas, new draw-gear, and was repainted into the lined Maunsell olive green that it had carried in the 1930s.

971 has been in almost continuous use on the Bluebell Railway since it arrived on 24th February 1963.

 
971 is seen here earlier than above in the Bulleid Malachite livery.

photograph by John A Arkell

971
 
971 Another view of SECR 100 seater 971, this time on the vintage branch line train at Horsted Keynes on 21st July 2001.

photograph by Colin Duff

 
The detail on one end of 971, pictured at Horsted Keynes on 20th June 2003.

photograph by Colin Duff

971
 
Coach 1098 is a 1922 built, South Eastern and Chatham Railway third class compartment coach. As with 971 above, upon electrification of the London suburban area the coach was modified for push pull working but this time ended its British Railways days working on the Lymington branch. Withdrawn during 1962, the coach arrived at the Bluebell Railway on 2nd May 1963 where it was in almost constant use for some 29 years before a minor structural but major door overhaul during 1992-4. When outshopped it was resplendent in the Maunsell Olive livery that it wears today and fitted with through lighting control - a blessing for the Guard who previously had to operate the lights at either Horsted Keynes or Kingscote for travelling through Sharpthorne Tunnel.

Further information on 100 seaters is available on the Bluebell Railway website.

 
1098 "Genuine" SECR 100 Seater Nº1098 on the vintage branch line train at Horsted Keynes on 21st July 2001.

photograph by Colin Duff

All photographs are copyright

1st | 2nd

This page was last updated 24 June 2011

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!