SEmG

Miscellaneous Southern Artefacts

Alton station footbridge looking east the stairs of the Alton station footbridge to the down platform
 
Compare and contrast two LSWR station footbridges over 100 miles apart and one part way in between at Alton Hampshire (top two pictures), Okehampton Devon (bottom two pictures) and Yeovil Junction (middle picture). The bridges at Alton and Okehampton have been restored whilst that at Yeovil Junction has had two rebuildings. Alton station was opened on 28 July 1852 and Okehampton on 3 October 1871. The footbridge at Okehampton was originally fully glazed as can be seen today at Alton. Yeovil Junction station was originally opened on 19 July 1860, was extensively rebuilt between 1907 and 1909 and then the footbridge was truncated back to the up island platform in 1967. The remains of Yeovil Junction station footbridge looking east
 
Okehampton station footbridge looking east the stairs of the Okehampton station footbridge to the down platform

Photographs: Alton May 2000, Yeovil Junction October 1999 and Okehampton July 2000 by Colin Duff

All photographs are copyright

return to the Southern Artefacts menu

return to picture gallery page

This page was last updated 3 December 2002

SR Target

Valid CSS!    Valid HTML 4.01!